Lifetime Achievement Award
Tomas P. Maramba, Jr., MD, MHA
Date and Place of Birth : February 02, 1934 Dagupan City, Philippines
Civil Status: Married to Dr. Nelia P. Cortes-Maramba
Citizenship : Filipino
Specialty : Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
1. President Emeritus, Philippine Society for Quality in Health Care, (PSQua) (October 2002)
2. Member, Management Committee, National Voluntary Blood Services (NVBS), Department of Health (DOH)
3. Chairman, TWG for Strategic Plan for National Health Laboratory Network
4. Chairman, TWG Committee on Quality Assurance of Lab Services
1. College of Medicine, University of the Philippines, Doctor of Medicine - March 1956
2. Institute of Public Health, University of the Philippines - Master in Hospital Administration - April 1975
1. Resident in Surgical Pathology, Philippine General Hospital and College of Medicine, UP, Manila, (1956 1957)
2. Resident in Internal Medicine, DC General Hospital, Washington DC, (1957 1958)
3. Resident fellow in Pathology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA, (1958 1963)
4. Resident in Pathology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA, (1963 1964)
Awards and Citations:
1. President Emeritus, PSQua, 09 October 2002
2. 1987 Pathologist of the Year, Philippine Society of Pathologists (PSP), April 1988.
3. 1990 Dr. Liborio Gomez Memorial Lecture Award, PSP, 01 June 1991.
4. 1993 Distinguished Service Award, PSP, 24 October 1994.
5. UPMAS 2007 Outstanding Family of the Year Award, 20 December 2007
6. Most Outstanding Physician, Philippine Medical Association, 23 May 2002
7. Distinguished Service Award. Philippine Medical Association, 24 May 2008.
8. Distinguished Service Award, Philippine College of Hospital Administrators, (PCHA),November 1981
9. Lifetime Service Achievement Award, Philippine Council for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (PCAHO)
10. Outstanding Health Professional Award, Philippine Chamber of Health, July 1988
11. Gawad Generics, Department of Health, 30 September 2013
12. Outstanding Alumnus in Research, UP College of Public Health Alumni Society (UPCPHAS), 01 June 1990
13. Award for Service as President (1994), Philippine Society of Oncologists (PSO), November 1995.
14. Award as Founding President, PBCC, 23 September 2005
15. Emeritus Fellow, Philippine Society of Hematology & Blood Transfusion (PSHBT)
16. Dr. Alendry Caviles Memorial Lecture Award, Philippine Society of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, 2008
17. Aurora Aragon Quezon Medal, Philippine National Red Cross, 25 October 2001
18. Pres. Manuel L. Quezon Memorial Lecture Award, Quezon Medical Society, August 1988.
19. 7th Dr. Enrique M. Garcia Memorial Lecture Award, Philippine College of Chest Physicians and Philippine Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons, 08 March 1988.
20. First Dr. Jorge C. Peralta Memorial Lecture Award, Philippine Blood Coordinating Council (PBCC), 26 October 2000.
21. 2nd Dr. Serafin J. Juliano Memorial Lecture Award, UDMC, 16 January, 2001.
22. 22nd Dr. Jose M. Cuyegkeng Memorial Lecture, College of Medicine Auditorium, UE Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, 03 December 2008
23. Carabao Award as Editor-in-Chief, Golden Jubilee Book of UPCM Class 1956, 12 December 2006
24. Appreciation as Chairman of Department of Pathology and Head, Quality Management Department, VRP Medical Center, 28 February, 2014
25. Lifetime Achievement Award, Philippine Council for Quality Assurance in Clinical Laboratories, September 26, 2017
26. Tribute and Unveiling of Marker for Dr. Tomas P. Maramba, Jr., Department of Pathology, VRP Medical Center, July 26, 2018
Past Positions & Designations:
1. President, Philippine Society of Pathologists, (1983-85)
2. President, Philippine Blood Coordinating Council, (1984-86, 1993-95)
3. Director, Bureau of Research and Laboratories, Department of Health, (November 10, 1986 to June 30, 1987); Officer-in-Charge - (July 01, 1987 to July 31, 1990)
4. Undersecretary of Health for Standards and Regulation, DOH, (July 01, 1987 - July 15, 1992)
5. Program Manager, National Blood Services Program. Department of Health, (DOH), (1989–92)
6. Member, Board of Governors, Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC),(January 1988 - July 1999).
7. President, Philippine Society of Oncologists (PSO), (1993-1994)
8. President, Philippine Society for Quality in Health Care (PSQua), (1996-98)
9. President (1999-2001), Member (2002-2007), Steering Committee, Asian Network for Clinical Laboratory Standardization and Harmonization (ANCLS)
10. President, Philippine Council for Quality Assurance in Clinical Laboratories (2000-07)
11. President, Philippine Council on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (PCAHO), (2008 - 2013)
12. Chairman, Department of Pathology, Dr. V R Potenciano Medical Center (VRPMC), formerly Polymedic General Hospital
13. Head, Quality Management Department, Dr. V R Potenciano Medical Center
14. Asso. Pathologist & Head, Blood Bank Section, United Doctors Medical Center (UDMC)
15. Chair, TWG on National Reference Laboratories, DOH,
16. Chair, TWG on Implementation of QMS for Clinical Laboratories
17. Chair, Task Force LABNET, DOH
18. Consultant, National Voluntary Blood Services Program, Department of Health
19. Vice-Chairman, Hospital Accreditation Commission
20. Chairman, Committee on Hospitals and Laboratories, PMA
21. Member, International Society for Blood Transfusion (ISHBT), (1988)
22. Associate Member, American Association of Blood Banks (AABB),(1968)
23. Various positions with WHO or UN Agencies as Chairman, Temporary Adviser, or Chief Philippine Delegate to Workshops on Safe Blood and Blood Products, Blood Transfusion Service, Health System Research, EQAS for Medical Laboratories, Strengthening Health Laboratories, and World Health Assembly