Richie Chuan Teck Soong, BSc(Hons) PhD FRCPath
Born in Australia, Richie Soong graduated from the Department of Surgery at The University of Western Australia in 1998 with a PhD thesis on the clinical relevance of p53 alterations. He spent one year studying p53 alterations in Asian tumours at Tan Tock Seng Hospital in Singapore before moving to Roche Diagnostics in Penzberg, Germany. At Roche, he was involved in developing systems and applications for the LightCycler (real-time PCR) instrument, including technology for efficient multiplex PCR and reliable low-level molecule detection. Richie joined the faculty at the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 2001 and expanded his research to pharmacogenetics, fluoropyrimidines and epigenetics under Robert Diasio (Director of the Cancer Centre, Mayo Clinic). Returning to Asia in 2004, Richie founded the Centre for Translational Research and Diagnostics (CTRAD) and became a tenured Associate Professor over 13 years at the National University of Singapore. Recently, Richie has started up Pascific Private Limited, as a vehicle to improve access to the benefits of advanced molecular diagnostics throughout Asia. He has published >160 articles and patents with >6000 citations, been awarded >US$20 million in academic and industry grants as PI, and invited to give talks world-wide on medical genomics, liquid biopsies, digital pathology, molecular pharmacology and precision healthcare.
Positions and Employment
• Research Scientist (1998), Brain and Spine Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
• Postdoctoral Fellow (1998-2001), Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Penzberg, Germany & University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
• Research Instructor (2001), Assistant Professor (2002-2003), Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology & Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, USA
• Chief, Translational Interface, Oncology Research Institute (2004-2008) and Director, Centre for Translational Research and Diagnostics, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore (2009-2017), National University of Singapore, Singapore
• Senior Research Scientist, Oncology Research Institute (2004-2008), Senior Principal Investigator, Cancer Science Institute of Singapore (2009-2017), National University of Singapore, Singapore
• Assistant Professor (2004-2008), Research Associate Professor (2009-2013), Associate Professor with tenure (2014-2017), Adjunct Associate Professor (2017-Present), Department of Pathology, National University of Singapore, Singapore
• Chief Operating Officer, INEX Innovations Exchange Pte Ltd.; Chief Executive Officer, iGENE Diagnostics Pte Ltd (2017-2018)
• Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Pascific Pte Ltd (2018-Present)
Recent publications (of >165, citations 7301, h-index 53, as of 15 MAY 2018)
1. Wong AL, Lim JS, Sinha A, Gopinathan A, Lim R, Tan CS, Soh T, Venkatesh S, Titin C, Sapari NS, Lee SC, Yong WP, Tan DS, Pang B, Wang TT, Zee YK, Soong R, Trnkova Z, Lathia C, Thiery JP, Wilhelm S, Jeffers M, Goh BC. Tumour pharmacodynamics and
circulating cell free DNA in patients with refractory colorectal carcinoma treated with regorafenib. J Transl Med. 2015 Feb 12;13:57.
2. Soong R, Syn N, Wang K, Mohd Omar MF. Precision Medicine: Mind the Disruption. Biochemist. 2016 Jan 01; 38(1):14-18.
3. Wahl S, et al. Epigenome-wide association study of body mass index, and the adverse outcomes of adiposity. Nature. 2017 Jan 5;541(7635):81-86.
4. Capoluongo E, Ellison G, López-Guerrero JA, Penault-Llorca F, Ligtenberg MJL, Banerjee S, Singer C, Friedman E, Markiefka B, Schirmacher P, Büttner R, van Asperen CJ,
Ray-Coquard I, Endris V, Kamel-Reid S, Percival N, Bryce J, Röthlisberger B, Soong R, de Castro DG. Guidance Statement On BRCA1/2 Tumor Testing in Ovarian Cancer Patients. Semin Oncol. 2017 Jun;44(3):187-197.
5. Yap YS, Kwok LL, Syn N, Chay WY, Chia JWK, Tham CK, Wong NS, Lo SK, Dent RA, Tan S, Mok ZY, Koh KX, Toh HC, Koo WH, Loh M, Ng RCH, Choo SP, Soong RCT. Predictors of Hand-Foot Syndrome and Pyridoxine for Prevention of Capecitabine-Induced Hand-Foot Syndrome: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Jul 13
6. Koh KX, Tan GH, Hui Low SH, Mohd Omar MF, Han MJ, Iacopetta B, Soo R, Beloueche-Babari M, Bhattacharya B, Soong R. Acquired resistance to PI3K/mTOR inhibition is associated with mitochondrial DNA mutation and glycolysis. Oncotarget. 2017 Nov 24;8(66):110133-110144.
7. Kasai N, Sasakawa A, Hosomi K, Poh TW, Chua BL, Yong WP, So J, Chan SL, Soong R, Kono K, Ishii T, Yamano K. Anti-tumor efficacy evaluation of a novel monoclonal antibody targeting neutral amino acid transporter ASCT2 using patient-derived xenograft mouse models of gastric cancer. Am J Transl Res. 2017 Jul 15;9(7):3399-3410.
8. Saw WY, Tantoso E, Begum H, Zhou L, Zou R, He C, Chan SL, Tan LW, Wong LP, Xu W, Moong DKN, Lim Y, Li B, Pillai NE, Peterson TA, Bielawny T, Meikle PJ, Mundra PA, Lim WY, Luo M, Chia KS, Ong RT, Brunham LR, Khor CC, Too HP, Soong R, Wenk MR, Little P, Teo YY. Establishing multiple omics baselines for three Southeast Asian populations in the Singapore Integrative Omics Study. Nat Commun. 2017 Sep 21;8(1):653.
9. Soo RA, Yun Lim JS, Asuncion BR, Fazreen Z, Herrera MC, Mohd Omar MF, Diem Phuong NH, Seet JE, Amanuel B, Iacopetta B, Byrne D, Hendry S, Fox S, Soong R. Determinants of variability of five programmed death ligand-1 immunohistochemistry assays in non-small cell lung cancer samples. Oncotarget. 2018 Jan 2;9(6):6841-6851.
10. Heong V, Syn NL, Lee XW, Sapari NS, Koh XQ, Adam Isa ZF, Lim JS, Lim D, Pang B, Thian YL, Ng LK, Wong AL, Soo RA, Yong WP, Chee CE, Lee SC, Goh BC, Soong R, Tan DSP. Value of a molecular screening program to support clinical trial enrollment in Asian cancer patients: The Integrated Molecular Analysis of Cancer (IMAC) Study. Int J Cancer. 2017 Oct 9.